Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Sean and I have been staying up WAY too late at night this week watching this HBO miniseries. Being that a person can only check out one of the three DVDs at a time, we haven't gotten to see it in order. In fact, we have yet to watch the second DVD. But no matter.

Besides being very well done, this DVD has opened my eyes to parts of history that I have forgotten or never really knew. The months of debate and politics that went into the writing and signing of the Declaration of Independence was astounding to me. The insights and passions of our founding fathers came to life through the actors and I appreciate all the more the process they endured in order to assure our freedoms we claim today. Walking through that time in history also gave an up close look at tar and feathering, inoculations and the dental trials of the day. Interesting.

All this to say that this July 4th my perspective on our freedom as a nation has been widened. However, I am all the more grateful to our Great King in Heaven who rules now and forever. He is the One reigning over the kingdoms of men.


The sentence is by the decree of the watchers, the decision by the word of the holy ones, to the end that the living may know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will and sets over it the lowliest of men.' Daniel 4:17



"It is I who by my great power and my outstretched arm have made the earth, with the men and animals that are on the earth, and I give it to whomever it seems right to me. Jer. 27:5

2 comments:

mindi said...

I just might have to start watching that :D

Denise said...

If I knew I was that close to your house, I would have just stopped by! My parents first home was in Clermont, so we took a nostalgic drive while we were there.

I loved your pics from Florida. Hopefully your life is calming down a bit!!