Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Strange Happenings

Sometimes I just have to laugh at the goings on in this house. I really do try to manage the children. Really I do. But I'm sure I don't know even the half of what happens when I'm not looking.

Last week, after being gone for two days, I went to lay sweet John down to bed. I pulled back the covers to find a disturbing sight- a roll of ground turkey bulging and ready to explode. Why? How could this be? It was like handling a live grenade. Scary. All I could picture is putrid raw turkey meat splattered all over the walls. It was a bad scene. Apparently, John had an ouchy and helpful Rebekah decided that he needed some ice. But, you see, we didn't have any ice, so she used the meat instead. I don't even want to know how many nights he had been sleeping with that meat.

Then today Hannah was making banana bread and was concerned that the oven was smoking. She kept telling me that "all the burnt stuff on the bottom of the oven is getting too hot!" Well, I thought little batter had overflowed and spilled on the bottom and ignored it. No big deal, right?

Later when cleaning up the kitchen, I picked up the sugar container that was sitting on the back burner and sugar poured out through a hole in the bottom. Yep. She set the sugar on the oven vent while baking. The plastic melted and there was sugar all the way up the pipe. It was burning out the other end into the oven. The oven has since been vacuumed, but I'm kind of afraid to turn it on.

12 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Monica, I'm so glad that was you and not me!

Heather L. said...

That is hilarious about the turkey! I'm glad you caught it before something happened! UGH! I'd be afraid about the stove too.

Denise said...

WOW! Never a dull moment at your house. I'm going to check my kids beds now.

Angie said...

My goodness! Which smelled worse...the meat or burning sugar?You will be glad to know that you keep me in stitches and I ahve nominated you for a smile award! See my blog for the details!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

This is my favorite Monica story EVER.

Michelle said...

Could you imagine the horror if that turkey had burst!!! OH MY!!!

Tisha Alexander said...

Monica... I just love your stories!! Your kids are so precious.

Andrea said...

Oh the stories that they give us for their weddings! Priceless...
Andrea

Andrea said...

I can't believe that about the turkey!!!! I would have freaked!!! Poor kid putting turkey on him!!

mindi said...

OH MY!!! I second that I'm glad it was you and not me . . . wow, thankfully you found it it time!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

LOL! Oh the meat thing...gross...and hilarious. Thanks for the giggle. We can't possibly see everything, huh?

Sarah said...

Funny and I can relate!

One time we used a bag of frozen cauliflower as an ice pack for the cooler. We accidentally left it in the cooler and a week later it stunk sooooo bad!!