Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blooming

There is nothing I love to watch more than a child coming into their own. One of the tricky things about homeschooling is the amount of insecurity that the kids seem to have around their peers. They are not quite sure what the standards are so they are hesitant to get out there and reveal what they know or what they can do. It doesn't matter how many times that I tell them that they are right on track and should be pleased with their skills, they don't quite believe me. That's why we try, as often as possible, to put them in situations that are a bit uncomfortable. It's been a struggle at times to see them shrink back and loose confidence. But lately it seems they are each coming into their own, hitting a stride, making new friends and having a lot of fun.



Betsy has always been shy about reading in front of others. She's the youngest in her age group which can make a big difference in reading ability at first. She came home from her speech therapy beaming because she read a book to a teacher. The next morning she crowned herself king.







It's been so rewarding to see John and Rebekah find each other as playmates. My "babies" are growing up, that's for sure. Seeing them become friends just makes my heart swell. Yesterday, they played super heroes for hours. Rebekah tolerated the chasing and wrestling. John did his best to respect the baby doll.

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Love this. It is so precious to watch the beauty within as it is revealed.

I have loved watching my little ones find a "place" in the house. It is truly a delight. I imagine it is as delightful every single time as the newest member gets old enough to "play" :)

mindi said...

That's so sweet!! I just posted a pic of Lex in Batman, that boy loves his costumes :P
How wonderful to watch your children grow like that. I wish I could get to experience that with my kiddos :(