Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Girl's Bedroom Makeover: Part 1

The three youngest girls have been waiting patiently for their time to have a bedroom makeover. It's hard to believe that it's been two years since we undertook the older girls' room.

We quickly learned with the older girls that because their bedroom was decorated, organized and just the way they planned it, they became unnaturally motivated to keep it that way. This quickly grew into a habit and now it is the rare occasion that I have to ask them to clean their room. Love it.

The younger girls need this sort of motivation more than they know. Though their room is large, they fill it up quickly. I knew it was going to be a challenge to blend their tastes as well as their dispositions into one space that would make sense for all of them.

Miriam, 10, is an ultra organized, easy to be around, athletic, no frills kind of girl. She likes to read, knit, listen to music and write.

Elizabeth is a fun loving, creative, vibrant nine year old. She likes to collect items because they hold sentimental value to her. She's kind of stuck between enjoying all the things a young girl loves and yet wanting at times to be more grown up.

Then there is Rebekah, 6. What can I say? I think that Rebekah would be happy to live in a box with a big stack of paper, markers, tape and scissors. She is always making something (and then leaving it all over the floor). This girl needs structure and yet room to explore and discover. She still has some dressing up and Polly Pocket playing to do, too.

Thankfully, I like challenges.

I've been collecting items since this summer and now we are in the construction phase. I regret that I can not find my before pictures of their room. Imagine this: yellow walls, multicolored flowered bedspreads and lots of stuff. I gave away their beds this summer to a family in need, so they've been sleeping on their mattresses on the floor since. It is definitely time for a change.

3 comments:

Tisha Alexander said...

You are an amazing, creative, wonderful mom and I have no doubt that their bedroom will be awesome!! I can't wait to see pictures! Merry Christmas!!
Oh and I also can't believe it has been two year since you did the older girls' bedroom... wow, just another example that time if flying by. :)

Tara said...

I can't wait to see the new room! I can't believe it's been two years, either. I remember watching the other room transform!

In our town the hazardous waste facility takes cans of paint and other cleaning supplies and has a "free store". Perhaps your town does too and you could mix and match some fun paint there??? Just a thought from one thrifty mom to another! (And if there isn't enough of any one color you could mix your own with what they have. DH did that once and got a color spot on to a wallpaper boarder.)

Alyssa said...

haha! I'm laughing at you giving their beds away! Not that you did... just the way you said it as if everyone gives their kids beds away every now and then! LOL

I think that's great! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it all done. I love seeing how other people decorate.