Saturday, January 3, 2009
Frugal Bedroom Makeover Part 2- Duvet Covers
While Sean helped the girls change their room from spring green to creme, I set my sights on changing our well loved comforters into beautiful new bedspreads. (Note: Though my mom and sister sew wonderfully, I never took the time to learn. I just recently learned how to thread a machine.)
I did some research online and kind of combined some of the methods I read. We used Hannah's small sewing machine which did the job.
First, we selected two sheets for each comforter. The blue sheets were purchased for $2 each off the Walmart Clearance shelf. The larger brown sheet cost $10 at Marshall's. Next, we measured the sheets and cut them down as needed so that they were 1 inch larger than the comforters to allow for 1/2 inch seam allowance. We pinned the sheets together with the right sides facing in and sewed the bottom and sides together.
I'm thinking that with making my own duvet covers we may never have to buy bedding again. This so works for me. There are other great ideas over at Rocks in my Dryer so check it out!
See part one of the makeover here.