Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Whew!!

What a crazy week and a half. Sean has been home from school working hard and making progress on the book. I've been squeezing in bits of school here and there. We've all been loving the extra time with family and friends. Sometimes it's just fun to play together. But now reality is here- 2010 is a few days away. January promises to be a very busy month with 16 basketball games and Sean traveling out of state seven days. I'd really like to get the budget set, filing done and some decluttering accomplished before he returns to work on Monday. We'll see.

As for the diet- we march onward. Gluten was introduced first with a variety of reactions. Miriam developed a new patch of eczema on her forehead (she's never had any on her face before). Lydia had a headache the first day, dizziness and brain fog the second day and huge lymph nodes with a diagnosed ear infection by the fourth day. She's now on antibiotics and we are awaiting her full recovery before we move forward. It was noticeable in others dark circles under the eyes, swollen eyes and generally moodiness the day after gluten. We decided to remain gluten free as a family for the remainder of the diet mostly for moral support. But I think it would benefit us all as we try to sort things out.

We did go ahead and introduce nightshades a few days ago out of desperation. The morale was LOW and the kids were just generally in a funk needing something to change. I chose nightshades simply because they are all whole foods and I don't suspect that there will be any problems. Everyone did great with these (thankfully). So now we have potatoes, tomatoes and peppers back in our lives. They've enjoyed mashed potatoes made with broth and kettle chips. What a treat!

How much longer? We have 9 more groups to introduce. The reality of it is that it's going to likely be at least another six weeks, if not longer. I'm thinking it will be more like 10 weeks. I'm hoping we can get it done by Spring Break.

Though it's getting easier in some ways, and more challenging in others, the benefits are clear to Sean and I. Everyone is feeling so much better in general. Sleep is restoring. There's no mid day slump in energy. Complexions and eyes are bright and clear. There is much less grumpiness from the little kids. Math fact are being learned and they are sticking. Sean and I have lost around 12 pounds combined without exercise. Seeing these small changes along the way are so encouraging.

5 comments:

Heather L. said...

It's so great to hear about progress being made. I'm sorry about the gluten -- but glad that the reaction was noticeable and I hope that it won't be too hard to help everyone keep persevering.

Tisha Alexander said...

I think gluten is an easy thing to eliminate... I say that while I am eating crackers. ;) I am interested in all your other findings... our bodies reactions to food facinates me.

Brooke said...

Don't you LOVE Christmas vacation, spring break, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, and the like? Totally understand the thrill of having two extra hands around. Enjoy the rest of your week. . . hope you can check everything off your to do list ;)

Anonymous said...

This is all so interesting and I'm glad it's you and not me right now! I know I could not handle it. Food has an incredible effect on all of us.
We found Beth's All Purpose Glute-Free Flour to be wonderful with the gluten issues. I think it could be safe with your other restrictions, too. Let me know if you want more info.

Tiffini
Keep up the very good work!!!!

Angie said...

I am amazed at the reactions - just from one food! Still praying as you all go through this together!