Friday, February 8, 2008

Frugal Finds

Early in our marriage we used ground turkey instead of ground beef because it was what we could afford. It was in no way healthier in that it had 16-20 grams of fat per serving. But it was always $.99 a pound.

I discovered that WalMart is now carrying rolls of Honeysuckle White Fresh ground turkey 93/7 for $1.87/lb everyday! 8 grams of fat per serving. No additives. Substituting this for lean ground beef saves us dollars per meal. I'll admit that the taste is more mild and the texture finer, but we like it.

I've also been running out of spices recently. I went to the dollar store and found nothing I needed, so I went ahead and bought Kroger brand for $2.50 and up. However while going through the aisles at CVS the other day I discovered that they have a large selection of spices for $.99. Of course I saw all of the ones that I had purchased recently. I know what I'm going to be getting as fillers on my next order:)

8 comments:

Heather L. said...

Thanks for the tip. I need spices badly.

Unknown said...

Great idea about using spices as fillers at CVS! I had no clue they sold those.

I posted about my grocery deal this week at ACME markets on my blog!

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

Word to the wise... a friend of mine bought some spices at CVS and they were terrible. I can't remember which ones she got, but she said she would never buy them there again.

Monica said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind. At least if I get them for free and they are bad then I didn't loose any money?

Unknown said...

We tried ground turkey in our spaghetti sauce last week. I didn't tell the family what I had done. No one complained, but I really didn't like it. It's probably because I'm not used to it, but I'm not sure I am willing to use it in my favorite recipes so I will GET used to it! :-)

Saralyn said...

My sister-in-law used to cook abeef bouillon cube with the turkey when browning it for a bit more beef flavor. Lots of sodium, though. My family prefers the beef so I watch for sales or look for mark downs on close to sale date meat and buy lots to cook and freeze.
I buy spices at Big Lots. They have a large variety and are $.89.

Melonie said...

I started using ground turkey only because it was called for in a specific chili recipe - now I actively look for it to switch out in other things. Another that has helped me (especially for chili) is Johnsonville ground sweet Italian sausage. We're able to get it at the commissary for less than either ground turkey or ground beef - which are cheaper there anyway vs civilian grocers - PLUS I've found coupons on it. :-) Might be worth a shot next time you need something with a little kick to it.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to find gr. turkey in the stores. But the price of hamburger is about the same.
We don't have CVS close to us to make it worth it. The closes is 50 miles away. I feel so left out.