Friday, November 16, 2007

The Elliptical


We've really been trying to integrate exercise into our homeschool curriculum this year. It is actually listed as an assignment each day now and the kids are really faithful to do it. Rollerblading. Biking. Jogging. Jumping Rope. Soccer. Obstacle courses. They are pretty creative. It especially comes in handy when they are frustrated and need a break. Blood circulation does wonders for learning. It is recommended that children exercise 60 minutes a day and adults 30 minutes. This may happen in the warmer months, but in the winter it just gets hard. And for me? Well, I'm not so good at working it into daily life no matter what the season.

About 8 years ago I was taking great efforts to improve my health and found the elliptical machine at the Y (loved the child care available) and water aerobics to reap great benefits. It really didn't take much, just consistency and some sweat. I was healthier and stronger. Since then, I've had 6 children and find it harder to leave the house to exercise. At this point, most of my children are too old for any daycare that a gym would offer. So I attend the occasional evening water aerobics class currently, but know that I need more.

I've been praying about this. When I hit forty I want to be on the incline, not the decline (if you know what I mean). I've been perusing ebay on occasion hoping to find something to meet the need and yesterday there it was! An elliptical machine. The owners purchased it two years ago and used it twice. And it is a pick up only item about 10 miles from my home!!

Ebay gives me a heart attack. The anticipation of the whole thing is unnerving to me. I can see how some people could go crazy spending or become addicted to this sort of thing. We bid, my heart raced, I obsessively pressed the refresh button, the children cheered. We got it!!

A bonus from work is allowing me to purchase this item for 1/5th of the price retail. I'm always blessed beyond measure at God's perfect provision and I know the benefits will far outweigh any cost.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! i'm supposed to be starting on a stationary bike soon. :) Maybe we should have a mother's "club" where we keep each other accountable. :)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

YEAH! I was going to check out ebay for one of those myself after our conversations last weekend! :) I'm so happy for you!!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

WOW - that is awesome! I am sure you are gonna love it. I love ebay!

jennie said...

Congrats. There is no rush like an ebay auction rush. I'm in for Heather's mom club!

Unknown said...

Are you the Monica I talked to tonight at the Lighthouse event? I wish we would have had more time. Let's get together! Love your blog, BTW, and if you're who I think you are, I had no idea and it's a small world!

mindi said...

That is fantastic. I need something like that, but I don't have the discipline right now. I definitely need to get it though - I always feel better after exercising!

Amy K said...

That's awesome--when we get a bigger house I'm going to start looking for some indoors exercise equipment. Lately I've been justifying not exercising with, "Why should I get in the habit now, pretty soon I won't be able to go outside and do it." I think having an indoor method of exercising will keep me consistent. Hopefully it will work well for you!

And, have fun this weekend. So glad you're able to take this break w/ Sean! :)