Monday, November 12, 2007

Refreshed




Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints. Philemon 7


I went to a small Christian college in the hills of East Tennessee 17 years ago. I certainly received a good education, but more than that gained four wonderful friends who continue to bless, challenge and encourage me.

Maybe it's that we all "grew" up together there- staying up all night, singing, playing sports, going out, breaking up, finding our faith, working, laughing (a lot), being immature yet trying to be responsible, crying, fighting, facing the future, realizing dreams, recognizing failures, eating far too much food, living on a dime, moving in and moving out, visiting each other's homes, forgiving, forgetting, loving...

Our school would be considered stone age conservative by all standards I believe. No co-ed visitors in dorms. Curfews. No alcohol. No smoking. No living off campus. No cars for Freshman. Though many may laugh at this, as we talked about this weekend, we are thankful for it. We had an atmosphere that allowed for growth. Sure each of us did things that we may still regret, but we had a relatively safe environment to discover who we were and to invest in relationships without being confused and bombarded by all the stuff that college campuses may offer.

This year me and my 4 friends Amy, Cindy, Beth and Carrie turn 35. We have known each other for half of our lifetimes!! We work in an Opera House, homes, churches, schools, a hospital, theaters. We read books, know far too much about various TV series and movies, serve in ministries, mentor, marriage counsel, homeschool, act, create, raise 17 children, travel....

Last weekend was a rare occasion where we all met together for a get away. Refreshing does not do justice to what it feels like to get away with such real friends. It is a gift to be with these girls and pick up right where we left off. It is a gift to be able to share our joys and struggles honestly without fear of judgment. It is a gift to sit in a row in church and sing to our Lord. It is a gift laugh, cry, talk, remember and dream with friends again.


















4 comments:

Jen said...

Awww. So fun. I am so glad you girls make a conscious effort to get time with each other, although I am sure you could probably use it more often than you get it :)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh, this makes my heart long for some friends in my past.

I wish I had a whole group like this from college...I did not develop such "wise" friendships back then, but I have a group of gals from high school who could use a weekend like this!

Amy said...

Thanks for the pictures friend! I had such a wonderful time!

mindi said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun. That's wonderful. I hope you never lose your friendsips!!