Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Budding Artists



Want to keep your preschooler busy? Want to inspire the little artist in your midst? Want to do it with minimal mess and no money out of your pocket?

Here's what I did years ago and it still one of our kid's favorite quiet activities. I went to the paint section of a store and asked if I could take as many paint sample cards as I wanted. Of course, they said yes. I grabbed a large handful, took them home and cut out the individual squares then placed them in a small shoe box.

Whenever I'm looking for ways to keep little hands occupied I get out the box for them to play with. Sometimes I ask them to make separate the colors into groups. Other times I ask them to place them darkest to lightest. But most times I just wait and see what they can come up with on their own.

It's intriguing to see how think about color and the small differences in hues and shades. Each child sees it differently.

Head over to Rocks in my Dryer for other great ideas!!

7 comments:

Heather L. said...

That's a terrific idea!

Alaina said...

What a great idea!!

Catherine said...

Good idea! I'm going to try that!

Amy K said...

We tried that several months ago based on your recommendation. Meredith enjoyed it but I think it's something she'll enjoy even more later. Great idea. :)

BTW, Elizabeth's dress is beautiful. I'm impressed at the price. Target is awesome. :)

Monica said...

What a great idea, love it. You are a great Mama:)

Sarah said...

This is a really good idea.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story on my blog. I can't tell you how much that I appreciate it. Your words were exactly what I needed to hear. I've been a lurker on your blog for a while and this is not the first time that you've encouraged me.

God bless.

Mamabug said...

I'll have to give that a try for my 2y/o.